Vegetable Shepherd's Pie
- 6 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 bunch baby turnips, halved or quartered if large
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley, leaves-chopped (stems reserved)
- 1.5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup chopped veggie burgers or vegetarian protein crumbles
- 2/3 cup milk or half-and-half
- Grated parmesan cheese, for sprinkling (optional)
Preheat the broiler. Cover the potatoes with water in a pot; season with salt, cover and boil until the potatoes are fork-tender, 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a stovetop casserole dish or shallow enamel pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, turnips and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the vegetables brown, 8 minutes. Add 1.5 cups cooking liquid from the potatoes to the casserole dish. Lower the heat and scrape up any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Tie the parsley stems with twine and add to the casserole. Cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 8 minutes. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, 2 tablespoons butter and the chopped veggie burgers and warm through, 5 minutes. Remove the parsley stems and stir in the chopped parsley. Keep warm.
Drain the potatoes and mash with the remaining 3 tablespoons butter and the milk; season with salt and pepper and spoon over the casserole. Sprinkle with parmesan, if desired. Broil until golden brown, 5 minutes.