Mushroom-Spinach Salad With Chicken 'Croutons'
- 5 tablespoons Italian salad dressing divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut 1" cubes
- 1 pound fresh white mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup sweet red bell pepper strips
- 1/2 cup coarsely-chopped onion
- 1 bag pre-washed spinach - (10 oz) torn
In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons of the dressing. Add chicken and brown, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, about 5 minutes; remove and set aside.
To same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon more of the dressing; add 1/2 of the mushrooms*, bell pepper and onion; cook, stirring frequently, just until mushrooms begin to release their liquid, about 3 minutes.
In a large salad bowl, combine spinach and remaining mushrooms*; add cooked mushroom mixture, reserved chicken and remaining 2 tablespoons dressing; toss well. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve as a main dish with shaved Parmesan Cheese and thinly sliced tomatoes, if desired.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
* All of the mushrooms can be cooked or left raw.