Mama's Mexican Minestrone
- 1 pkg 7-oz fideos pasta
- 1-1/4 lb ( 1 in thick) boneless sirloin steak
- 1 pkg taco seasoning mix
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 med green bell pepper, chopped
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbs fresh basil
- 6-3/4 c low sodium beef broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes and chiles
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed & drained
- 2 small yellow squash or zucchini, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 pkg (6 oz) fresh baby spinach
- 3/4 c shredded parmesean cheese
Spread pasta in single layer on cookie sheet. Bake 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Set aside.
Cut beef into 1 inch pieces. Coat with taco seasoning mix. Cook beef, onion and bell pepper over medium heat, stirring often, 6-8 minutes or beef is browned. Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Stir in basil, strring constantly, 30 seconds.
Add toasted pasta, broth and next 3 ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Rduce heat to low, simmer, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in spinach. Sprinkle each serving with parmesan cheese.