Mushroom Superbowl Chili
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh white mushrooms sliced
- 8 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1 can stewed tomatoes - (14 1/2 oz)
- 1 can white kidney beans - (19 oz) rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
In a large saucepan heat oil until hot; add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in chili powder and cumin; cook until fragrant about 30 seconds.
Add white and shiitake mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are crisp-tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add stewed tomatoes, beans, olives and 1/2 cup water. Simmer uncovered, to blend flavors, about 10 minutes.
Serve with tortillas; garnished with shredded lettuce, diced fresh tomatoes and shredded Cheddar cheese, if desired.
This recipe yields 4 servings.