Mushroom And Red Pepper Crostini
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 loaf Italian bread sliced diagonally
- into sixteen 3/4" slices
- 8 ounces fresh white mushrooms sliced
- 1 large sweet red bell pepper cut in halves
- 1 large mild red onion cut in halves
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded, divided
Preheat charcoal grill or broiler.
In a large bowl, combine olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Lightly brush both sides of each bread slice with oil mixture; set aside. To remaining oil in bowl, stir in mushrooms, red pepper and onion; toss to coat thoroughly.
Place vegetables on a grill rack or broiler pan. Grill or broil, 4 inches from heat source until vegetables are lightly charred, 5 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally; remove and keep warm.
Place bread slices on the grill rack or under the broiler until lightly browned, about 30 seconds; turn bread. Sprinkle 1 cup of the mozzarella over bread slices, dividing evenly; heat just until melted. Top cheese with hot grilled vegetables and remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella.
This recipe yields 8 servings.