Grilled Portabella Sandwich
- 6 ounces portabella mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small loaf Italian or other crusty bread - (8 oz)
- 3 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1 cup spinach, arugula, or lettuce leaves
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese cut thin slices
- 1 jar roasted red peppers - (7 oz)
Preheat outdoor grill or broiler, until hot. Trim portabella stems if attached; cut mushrooms in 1/4-inch slices. Brush both sides with oil. Place on a rack on a grill, or broiler pan 4 inches from heat; grill or broil until mushrooms are tender, about 4 minutes, turning once.
Cut bread horizontally in half. Spread bottom half with pesto. Layer with spinach, mozzarella, peppers and mushrooms. Cover with top of bread. Cut crosswise in half to serve.
This recipe yields 2 servings.