Grilled Portabella Burger With Fontina And Basil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely-ground black pepper divided
- 4 medium portabella mushroom caps stems removed
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves crushed
- 4 crusty rolls split
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
Preheat grill or broilder. In a small bowl whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Brush both sides of each mushroom with lemon juice mixture, using all of the dressing.
Place mushrooms on a grill or a broiler rack pan, rounded-side up; cook for 3 minutes. Turn mushrooms stem-side up; sprinkle with cheese, oregano and remaining 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Continue cooking until mushrooms are tender and cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.
To serve: Place each mushroom into a roll and sprinkle with basil. Top with sliced tomato and red onion, if desired. Serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.