Chicken Cacciatore With Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves - (6 to 8 oz ea)
- 8 ounces fresh white mushrooms sliced 1/4" thick
- 1 small garlic clove crushed thru press
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (or apple juice)
- 1 can Italian-style plum tomatoes - (14 1/2 oz) with juice
- 1/3 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 tspn fresh oregano)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
In a large skillet, heat oil; add the chicken and mushrooms. Cook over medium-low heat until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Add the garlic and salt and pepper to taste; stir until blended. Transfer the chicken and mushrooms to a side dish.
Add the wine to the skillet. Increase the heat to high and boil the wine, scraping up any browned pieces from the bottom of the skillet, until reduced to a thin film. Add the tomatoes and heat to boiling, breaking the whole tomatoes into pieces with the side of a wooden spoon or spatula.
Return the chicken, mushrooms and any juices to the skillet. Add the dried oregano (if using fresh, add later). Bring to a gentle simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally; cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Boil the tomato sauce over high heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Spoon the tomato sauce over the chicken and serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Chicken And Mushroom Orzo Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)