Best-Ever Portabella Burger
- 4 large portabella mushroom caps - (abt 1 lb)
- 2 tablespoons bottled Italian dressing
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 4 hamburger buns lightly toasted
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard divided
Brush both sides of portabella caps with dressing, salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place mushrooms gill-side up in skillet; cook 5 minutes; turn and cook until tender, about 5 minutes longer.
Toast buns; spread inside of buns with mustard, dividing evenly. Top with portabellas; add tomato slices, lettuce, onion and/or pickles, if desired.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Portabella Cheeseburger: Top each cooked portabella with 1 slice (1 ounce) Monterey jack, cheddar, or mozzarella cheese.