Miao Pork With Corn and Chilies
Set aside that canned baby corn you’re used to seeing in Chinese dishes, you’ll be using cut-from-the-cob kernels for this incredible dish. First created in the semitropical region of Guizhou in China, this version of the recipe has been adapted to use jalapeño peppers rather than the traditional cayenne, and a little more Sichuan pepper to boost the overall aromatic tingle of the dish. Because the chef decided add her own touch to the traditional recipe, she added a tiny bit of toasted sesame oil right at the very end of cooking to tie all the flavors together.
- 1/3 pound pork loin
- 3-4 large ears of corn, to yield 3 cups kernels
- 1 tablespoon lard or peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground Sichuan pepper
- 2 red cayenne chilies or use jalapenos, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- toasted Asian sesame oil, optional
- green onion, sliced (optional)
Adapted from webmd.com
1. Thinly slice the pork and then cut into small slices, about 1/2-inch by 1 inch. Set aside. Cut kernels from corncobs; one at a time, stand each cob on a cutting board and use a cleaver or chef’s knife to slice the kernels off the cob; set aside.
2. Place a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add lard or oil, and when it is hot, toss in garlic. Stir-fry for a moment, add pork and Sichuan paper. Stir-fry for several minutes, add the chilies and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and stir-fry until pork has changed color all over, another minute or so. Add corn and stir-fry for about a minute, then add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir-fry until corn is cooked through and tender, another 3 to 4 minutes. Drizzle on a little toasted sesame oil, if using; and add green onions, if using.
3. Turn out and serve hot or at room temperature with rice.
You'll also love
- Banana Layer Cake with Cream... 4.5/5 (30 Votes)
- Pickled Okra 3.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Pretzel-Topped Sweet Potatoes 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Beef Empanadas in Puff Pastry 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Snickerdoodle Popcorn with White... 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Brussel Sprouts, bacon brown-sugar 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
- Chopped Corn & Black Bean Mason... 4/5 (14 Votes)