Almost Instant Mushroom Sauce With Fettuccine
- 8 ounces fettuccine uncooked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound fresh white mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions (scallions)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (or 1 tbspn dried basil, crushed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lowfat ricotta cheese
Cook pasta according to package directions; drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid; return pasta to pot.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat oil until hot. Add mushrooms, green onions and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in tomato, basil and salt; cook until tomato is just warm, about 1 minute.
To pasta in pot stir in ricotta cheese and enough cooking liquid to make a creamy sauce. Add mushroom mixture; toss. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and ground black pepper, if desired.
This recipe yields 4 servings.