Party Chicken Tetrazzini
- 1 pound white fresh mushrooms sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 pounds roasting chicken cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup light cream or milk
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimento
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 pound spaghetti or other noodles
Using fresh mushrooms, approximately 5 cups, saute in the 5 tablespoons butter about 3 to 5 minutes.
Place chicken in large saucepan with water to cover. Add onion, celery and salt. Bring to boil; simmer, covered, until chicken is tender. Cool chicken, bone and remove skin. Cut meat into bite-size pieces. Strain and reserve broth to use in sauce.
Melt butter in large saucepan. Stir in flour. Gradually add the chicken broth and cream, stirring until smooth and thickened. Add pimento, sherry and 1/2 cup of the cheese. Add chicken and sauteed mushrooms to sauce.
Arrange spaghetti and sauce in layers in a greased 4-quart casserole, ending with sauce mixture, on top. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Cover with foil and refrigerate until 1 1/2 hours before serving. Bake, covered, in preheated moderate oven (350 degrees) 1 1/2 hours or until thoroughly heated.
This recipe yields 8 servings.