Slow Cooker Pork Ranch Chili
Thick or brothy? This recipe makes a thick chili. If you prefer it brothier, all you need to do is add 1-2 cups of water or chicken broth. Spoon up a bowl and enjoy this hearty, tasty chili. I like to garnish mine with chopped green onions or cilantro. It's good accompanied with the crunch of tortilla chips.
- FOR VEGGIE BOOST:
- 3 pounds boneless pork roast, lean
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup low-sodium taco seasoning, 2 store packets
- 2 ( 4-ounces) cans diced green chiles
- 2 (14.5-ounces) cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 ( 6-ounces) can tomato paste
- 2 (15-ounces) cans pinto beans, rinsed & drained
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- optional; may substitute other vegetables
- 2 cups roughly chopped mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup taco seasoning (in addition to that above)
Adapted from theyummylife.com
Cut off as much visible fat from the pork roast as possible. Slice pork crosswise into four to five equal pieces (approx. 1 to 1-1/2" thick). Set aside.
If including the optional VEGGIE BOOST, mince the vegetables. A food processor is recommended for making the task quicker and easier.
In microwave safe bowl, combine onions, minced vegetables (if using), olive oil, and taco seasoning. Cover and microwave on high power for approx. 5 minutes until onions are soft; stopping and stirring after 3 minutes. (Alternative stove top method: saute onions & veggies, olive oil, & taco seasoning in skillet over medium high heat until onions are soft.)
Spray or grease inside of 5-1/2 to 7 quart slow cooker. Add onion mixture, green chiles, tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, and salt; stir to combine. Add pork pieces, partially pressing them vertically into tomato/bean mixture so there is space between them. Cover and cook on high 6-7 hours or low 9-10 hours, until pork is tender and easily pulls apart. (Note: slow cookers times and temperatures may vary.) Use tongs or 2 forks to break apart pork into bite-size pieces. Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed.
If chili is thicker than desired, stir in 1-2 cups water or chicken broth.
Optional garnishes: chopped cilantro, shredded cheese, chopped onions, sour cream, bacon crumbles
This recipe refrigerates and freezes well.