Pancetta, Broccoli Rabe And Asiago Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1 1/2 pound large fresh white mushrooms - (abt 18)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 4 teaspoon minced garlic divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 8 ounces broccoli rabe or spinach trimmed
- 8 ounces thinly-sliced pancetta
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1/3 cup freshly-grated Asiago cheese
- 1/3 cup packaged plain dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove stems from mushrooms (save for another use); place caps in a large bowl. Add 1/4 cup of the oil, 2 teaspoons of the garlic, the salt and pepper, toss to coat. Transfer to a shallow pan; roast, rounded-side up, until lightly cooked, about 8 minutes, remove from oven.
To prepare stuffing: Blanche broccoli rabe in boiling water for 12 minute; drain well and chop (makes about 1 1/4 cups); place in a medium bowl.
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook pancetta until crisp, 4 to 5 minutes; remove from skillet; chop coarsely (makes about 1/2 cup); place in bowl with the broccoli rabe.
Pour off all but 1 tablespoon oil from the skillet; add onion; cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes; add to bowl along with the Asiago (makes about 2 cups); mix well.
Turn mushrooms cavity-side up. Spoon stuffing into mushroom caps. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, parsley, pine nuts and the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil and 2 teaspoons garlic; mix well. Sprinkle over stuffed caps. Bake until browned, about 8 minutes. Serve warm.
This recipe yields 18 servings.