Pad Thai With Fresh Mushrooms And Shrimp
- 1/3 cup soy sauce or Asian fish sauce* plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar - (packed)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1 package 1/4"-wide rice noodles - (8 oz) (or fettuccine)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 12 ounces fresh white mushrooms sliced
- 4 ounces shiitake mushroom caps sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped garlic
- 8 ounces fresh or drained canned bean sprouts - (abt 2 cups)
- 6 scallions (green onions) cut 1" pieces
- 1/2 cup roughly-chopped or whole salted peanuts
* Typical of Thai cooking, fish sauce is milder in flavor than soy sauce, but in the same way, adds savory saltiness to a dish.
In a large bowl, whisk soy sauce, brown sugar, lime juice and hot sauce with 1/3 cup water. Cook noodles in boiling water, following package directions. Drain; add to the soy sauce mixture; toss gently.
In a very large skillet (or 2 smaller skillets or cook in batches), heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat; add mushrooms and garlic. Cook and stir until the mushroom liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Add to the seasoned noodles in the bowl.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the same skillet; add shrimp. Cook and stir until the shrimp are cooked through, about 2 minutes; stir in the bean sprouts and scallions. Add the mushroom-noodle mixture to the skillet; taste and add more soy sauce if needed. Cook and stir just until hot, 30 to 45 seconds. Sprinkle with peanuts.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Vegetarian Pad Thai: Omit shrimp. Beat 3 eggs with 1 teaspoon soy sauce. In the skillet, with a small amount of oil, add eggs; cook without stirring until almost firm. Quarter omelet, turn wedges and cook until firm; cut into narrow strips. Proceed as directed; add omelet strips just before serving.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (487 Votes)
- Famous Red Lobster Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (466 Votes)
- Easy & Healthy Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (194 Votes)
- Garlic Shrimp 4.5/5 (182 Votes)