This recipe from Jamie Ohland is incredibly versatile. Use your favorite seasonings such as Fajita, Brady Street, Lemon Pepper, Mural of Flavor, Cajun, even Cinnamon Sugar.
- 2 TB. vegetable oil
- 3/4 Cup white popcorn kernels
- 1/4 Cup melted butter, margarine or olive oil
- 1/4 Cup nutritional yeast (really good stuff that is healthy and brings a certain something toasty/cheesy/malty while being gluten/dairy free-usually in the bulk grains area or health food aisle)
- 1-2 TB. TACO SEASONING
- 1/8 tsp. BERBERE SEASONING, optional
- 1/4-1 tsp. salt, to taste
Preparation time 2mins
Cooking time 10mins
Adapted from penzeys.com
In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add one kernel of popcorn and cover the pan with a lid. Once the kernel has popped, place all of the kernels in the pan and replace the lid. Shake the pan to coat the kernels with oil. Shake the pan constantly as you start to hear kernels popping (this prevents burning). When the popping slows down significantly, remove the pan from the heat. Pour the popcorn into a large bowl and drizzle with the butter. Sprinkle with the nutritional yeast, TACO SEASONING, BERBERE and salt and toss to combine.