Mushroom Breakfast (Or Anytime) Bruschetta
- 8 diagonally-cut Italian bread slices 5" long by 1/2" thk
- 1 package ready-to-brown sausage links - (8 oz) thawed
- 1 pound fresh white mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions (scallions)
- 4 slices Provolone cheese - (from 6-oz pkg) cut 1/2" wide strips
Preheat broiler. On a broiler rack place bread slices; broil 3 to 4 inches from heat until brown, about 1 minute per side; place on a shallow pan; set aside.
Cut sausage in 1/2-inch thick slices. In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat cook sausages until golden, stirring occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender and most of the liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes.
Stir in cherry tomatoes and green onions; cook and stir until hot, about 1 minute. (Mushroom mixture can be prepared up to 1 day ahead and reheated in a nonstick skillet.)
Divide mixture evenly over toasted bread; top with cheese, trimming strips to fit. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat until cheese melts, about 1 minute. Serve with scrambled eggs, if desired.
This recipe yields 4 servings.