Sweet & Spicy Beef
- 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 12 oz flank steak, thinly sliced against the grain
- 1/2 tbsp peanut or vegetable oil
- 8 scallions, greens and whites separated, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 cups gren beans, ends removed, or sugar snap peas
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
In a large shallow dish, stir together soy sauce and cornstarch with a fork. Add the steak, toss to coat and let sit for 10 min.
Heat the oil in a wok or large saute pan over high heat. When the wok is screaming hot, add the scallion whites and the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant but not browned. Add the mushrooms and green beans and stir-fry for 3 to 4 min, using a metal spatula to keep the vegetables in near-constant motion.
Add the beef, along with the soy sauce and continue to stir-fry for 3 min, until the beed is fully browned on the outside. Stir in the hoisin and chili sauce and cook until the sauce lightly clings to the surface of the meat and vegetables. Garnish with the scallion greens.