Korean-Style Fresh Mushroom And Scallion Skewers
- 12 ounces fresh white mushrooms
- 10 large scallions (green onions)
- 2 medium yellow and/or green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dark Asian sesame oil
- 4 large garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds toasted*, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
* To toast sesame seeds: Place seeds in a skillet; cook and stir over moderate heat until golden.
Trim mushroom stems; cut in 1/2-inch thick slices. Cut white parts of scallions into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Trim and finely chop enough scallion greens to make 1/4 cup; set aside for later use. Cut bell peppers in 1 1/2-inch squares.
Thread mushrooms onto skewers so they will lie flat on the grill, alternating with scallion whites and bell pepper squares, threaded crosswise. Arrange skewers in a snug-fitting baking dish.
To prepare marinade: In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, sugar, oil, garlic, 1 tablespoon of the sesame seeds and the black pepper. Pour marinade over skewers; turn to coat all sides; cover and marinate 30 minutes or up to 2 hours, turning once.
Preheat grill or broiler to high. Place skewers on a rack; grill or broil, brushing often with marinade, until mushrooms are tender and vegetables are browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Sprinkle with reserved chopped scallion greens and remaining 1 tablespoon sesame seeds; serve hot or at room temperature.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Italian Mushroom Gravy 5/5 (1 Votes)