Sesame-Coated Sweet Potato Croquettes
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 6 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- One 2-ounce jar sesame seeds (3/4 cup)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Put the sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Add a large pinch of salt and simmer over moderately high heat until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain the sweet potatoes and return them to the pan. Shake the pan over high heat to dry out the potatoes, about 1 minute.
Mash the potatoes until smooth. Stir in the cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon, allspice and Cheddar. Season with salt.
Put the sesame seeds in a shallow bowl. Using your hands, roll the sweet potato mixture into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls in the sesame seeds until coated.
In each of 2 large skillets, heat 1/4 inch of oil. Add the sweet potato balls and fry over moderate heat until golden brown all over, about 1 minute per side. Drain on paper towels and serve warm or at room temperature.
MAKE AHEAD The coated sweet potato balls can be refrigerated overnight. Remove them from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before frying.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (814 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (738 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (489 Votes)
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (451 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Parmesan Crisps 4.5/5 (96 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Casserole Ruth Chris'... 4.4/5 (95 Votes)
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes 4.5/5 (91 Votes)