Corn, Kale, and Leek Fritters
All of the veggies in these delicious fritters came from my CSA this afternoon. I was trying to find a way to use up the kale and corn in one fell swoop, and stumbled across this recipe. These fritters are really yummy and I can’t wait to have one with a fried egg on top for breakfast tomorrow morning
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups fresh (or thawed frozen) corn — about 3 ears worth
- 2 cups finely chopped, firmly packed kale
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup cream (or use all milk instead of the cream)
- 2-3 cups sliced leeks, cleaned — 2 leeks worth
- oil for frying
- lemon for garnish
Saute the leeks in a few tsp of oil and let cool slightly.
In a large bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, salt, corn and kale.
In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs, melted butter or oil, and milk to combine. Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix briefly. Add the cooked leeks and stir to combine.
Heat or oil in a large frying pan. Drop 1/4 cup batter per cake into the hot skillet, adding more oil or butter as needed to keep cakes from sticking.
Cook until cakes begin to bubble and are browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes, then flip and cook until the other side is golden, 1 or 2 minutes longer. Sprinkle with a little salt once you flip them.
Keep cooking in batches and serve warm with a little squeeze of lemon.
You'll also love
- Blueberry-Coconut-Macadamia Muffins 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Lemon Pudding Pie 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Olive Garden Chicken Scampi 4.4/5 (17 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Cheese Potatoes 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Ham And Potato Soup With Leeks And... 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Corn Casserole 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Tomato Bacon & Spinach Quiche 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Corn Flake Christmas Wreaths 4.5/5 (24 Votes)