Johnny Marzetti - Millennium Style
- 1 cup elbow macaroni uncooked
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound fresh white mushroom sliced
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper chopped
- 8 ounces turkey sausage casing removed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes - (14 oz) undrained
- 1 can tomato sauce - (8 oz)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Cook elbow macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add mushrooms, onion and green pepper; cook and stir until mushrooms are golden, about 10 minutes. Remove from skillet.
Add turkey sausage, salt and pepper, using a fork to break meat into small pieces. Cook, stirring until sausage is browned, about 5 minutes. Return mushroom mixture to skillet. Stir in tomatoes and their juice, tomato sauce and cooked macaroni.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium low. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese. Cover and simmer until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
This recipe yields 6 servings.