Brown Butter Pumpkin Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground gloves
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- recipe from Baked Perfection
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line muffin tins with paper liners. In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat and continue to cook, swirling occasionally, until butter turns golden brown, Skim foam from top, and remove from heat. Pour into a bowl to stop the cooking, leaving any burned sediment behind; let cool.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. In another bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, both sugars, eggs, and brown-butter mixture. Add the flour mixture, and whisk until just combined.
Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes. Frost with CInnamon Cream Cheese Frosting. Makes 15 cupcakes.
Beat butter and cream cheese with a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low. Add sugar, 1 cup at a time, and then cinnamon and vanilla; mix until smooth.