Old-Fashioned Beef Stew Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 teaspoons salt, optional
- 5 to 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup sliced celery (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons browning sauce, optional
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 180mins
Adapted from keyingredient.com
•In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown meat in oil. Add the onion, water, seasoned salt, pepper and salt if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
•Add the vegetables; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Combine flour, cold water and browning sauce until smooth. Stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
One 1-1/2-cup serving (prepared without salt) equals 302 calories, 11 g fat (0 saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 263 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.