Grilled Portabella Burger (Veggie Burger)
- 4 large portabella mushrooms
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 ounces balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon garlic puree
- 1 tablespoon shallot puree
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper to taste
- 4 sesame seed buns
- 2 cups mesclun salad mix
- 1 medium red onion sliced
- 1 medium vine ripened tomato sliced
- 8 asparagus stalks grilled
- 4 slices Cheddar cheese if desired
- 1 tablespoon Dill/Shallot Mayonnaise if desired
Combine vinegar, garlic, shallot, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Pour over mushroom tops (Do not wash mushrooms. To clean, brush the dirt from the tops). Let mushrooms stand in marinade for 20 minutes to 2 hours.
Grill mushrooms for 2 minutes, then place in a baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes until they are soft and juices have been released. Set aside.
Slice and toast buns. Slice mushrooms and place in bun. Top with Dill/Shallot Mayonnaise and/or Cheddar cheese. Place one slice of onion and tomato on the mushrooms, a small amount of Mesclun salad mix and 2 asparagus spears. Drizzle with pan juices from the mushrooms and serve warm.
Dill/Shallot Mayonnaise: 1 cup mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots, 1 bunch chopped fresh dill.
This recipe yields 4 servings.