Wheat Berry Salad with Goat Cheese
Cooking Light JULY 2009
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 1 1/3 cups)
7 points plus
Saturated fat: 3.7g
Monounsaturated fat: 4.4g
Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- 1 1/4 cups wheat berries
- 2 1/2 cups chopped English cucumber
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 1/2 cups loosely packed chopped arugula
- 6 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled goat cheese
1. Place wheat berries in a medium bowl; cover with water to 2 inches above wheat berries. Cover and let stand 8 hours. Drain.
2. Place wheat berries in a medium saucepan; cover with water to 2 inches above wheat berries. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook, uncovered, 1 hour or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain well. Place wheat berries in a large bowl; add cucumber and next 4 ingredients (through tomatoes).
3. Combine rind and next 4 ingredients (through sugar) in a bowl; gradually add oil, stirring constantly with a whisk. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss well to coat. Stir in cheese. Let stand at least 30 minutes; serve at room temperature.