"Chorizo" Tacos (Made with Tofu)
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds firm tofu
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped, optional
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 limes, 1 halved and 1 quartered
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, for garnish
Adapted from health.com
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Stack tortillas on a large square of foil and wrap them loosely.
2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sprinkle with 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Crumble tofu into skillet with your hands. Cook, stirring and scraping bottom of skillet occasionally and adjusting heat as necessary, until tofu browns and crisps as much as you like, 10 to 30 minutes. When tofu is almost ready, put tortillas in oven.
4. Add bell pepper to skillet, if desired. Sprinkle mixture with chili powder; stir and cook, scraping any browned bits from bottom of skillet, until mixture is fragrant, less than 1 minute. Squeeze halved lime over mixture and garnish with cilantro and scallions. Serve with tortillas and lime quarters.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (702 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (665 Votes)
- Oven-Roasted Smoked Sausage &... 4.5/5 (397 Votes)