All American Potato Salad
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut in 3/4 inch cubes (3-4 medium)
- table salt
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 medium celery rib, chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons minced red onions
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes (optional)
1. Place potatoes in large saucepan and add water to cover by 1 inch.
2. Bring to boil over medium-high heat; add 1 TB salt, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring once or twice, until potatoes are tender, about 8 minutes.
3. Drain potatoes and transfer to large bowl.
4. Add vinegar and, using rubber spatula, toss gently to combine.
5. Let stand until potatoes are just warm, about 20 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir together celery, pickle relish, mayonnaise, mustard powder, celery seed, parsley, pepper, red onion, and 1/2 tsp salt.
7. Using rubber spatula, gently fold in dressing and eggs, if using, into potatoes.
8. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour; serve.