Smoked Trout Hash
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 lb. boiled and cooled russet potatoes, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 lb. boneless smoked trout, flaked into 1/2" chunks
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp. crème fraîche
- 2 tsp. prepared horseradish
- Finely chopped fresh chives
- Lemon wedge
1. Heat 3 tbsp. of the butter in a 10" skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes; cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 8–10 minutes.
2. Add remaining tbsp. of butter and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions soften, about 10 minutes. Add trout, heavy cream, dill, cayenne pepper, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
3. Turn hash in parts every 2 minutes, loosening any browned bits, until potatoes are golden brown, about 12 minutes.
4. Divide hash between 2 plates. Combine crème fraîche with horseradish. Garnish hash with sauce, chives, and a squeeze of lemon.