Rice and Bean enchiladas with Creamy tomatillo sauce
- 1/2 cup long grain white rice
- 1 can pinto beans, drained
- 1 1/3 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 pkg (3oz) creams cheese, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 2/3 cups jarred salsa verde
- 2/3 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 8 corn tortillas
1. In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup water, rice and 1/2 tsp. salt to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat to low, cover and cook until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and transfer to a medium bowl to cool slightly. Add the beans, 1 cup monterey jack, the scallions and cream cheese, stir gently.
2. Meanwhile, using a blender or food processor, blend the salsa verde, cream and 1/2 cup cilantro until smooth
3. preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Using tongs, carefully place 1 tortilla at a time into the hot oil and fry, turning once, until softened, 5 to 10 seconds per side. Transfer to paper towel lined plates to drain.
4. Mound 1/2 cup of the filling down the cnter of each tortilla. Roll up tightly, then place seamside down in a 7 by 11 inch glass baking dish. Pour the sauce over the top and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup monterey jack. Bake until bubbly, about 20 minutes.