Mexican-Style Guacamole Verde
The sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Before serving, reheat over low heat and loosen the sauce with a little water if necessary. Cool before adding the avocados, onion and cilantro.
- 2 large tomatillos (about 8 ounces), husked
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed
- 1/2 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves (about half bunch)
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 large fully ripened avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Place the tomatillos and jalapeño in a medium saucepan with enough cold water to just cover (about 2-1/2 cups); bring to a boil. Reduce heat and gently simmer about 8 minutes until tomatillos are tender. Remove from heat; let stand for 15 minutes. Gently drain.
Place the tomatillos and jalapeño in blender along with cilantro leaves, garlic and cumin. Blend for a few seconds, until smooth. Over medium heat, heat the oil in the saucepan. Add tomatillo mixture. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat and cook until slightly thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in salt and set aside to cool.
Before serving, fold in diced avocados, onion and chopped cilantro. Serve with chips or fresh vegetables.