Tasty tomato mac & cheese
- 1 lb (450 g) macaroni or other short pasta
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) milk
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) flour
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) dried oregano or
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh oregano
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh parsley
- 12 oz (360 g) Canadian Mild Cheddar, grated
- freshly ground pepper
In a large quantity of salted boiling water, cook pasta according to package directions but cook for 1 minute less. Drain in a colander.
In the saucepan used to cook the pasta, melt butter and brown garlic and onion for 2 minutes.
Mix milk and flour and pour into saucepan. Stir using a whisk and let simmer until mixture thickens.
Add tomato paste, oregano and parsley.
Gradually incorporate grated Cheddar and season.
Add pasta, stir with a large spoon, reheat, and serve at once.