Chinese Chicken Salad, Made Lite
This version of Chinese Chicken Salad is more "fresh", with a dressing that isn't loaded with sugar. It's quite easy to put together,and you can be creative in cutting the vegetables that you want. To make things even easier, buy a rotisserie chicken at your local deli/grocery store. It's a whole lot cheaper than going out to a restaurant and ordering one-- plus you know what's in the salad dressing!
This recipe is slightly adapted from "Just A Taste"
- For the dressing:
- For the salad
- 1 small rotisserie chicken (about 4 cups), shredded
- 1-2 heads romaine lettuce, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 small head purple cabbage, shredded
- 2-3 scallions, sliced (white and green parts)
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 cup fresh cucumber (I used 1/3 of an English cucumber), sliced into batons*
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 cup crispy chow mein noodles
- 1 can mandarin oranges, drained
- 3 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar**
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
*for the cucumbers, cut into approx. 1/4" slices. Stack a few, and then cut straight down into thin strips or "batons"
**You can use seasoned rice vinegar, but all that means is that sugar and salt has been added. I used unseasoned.
For the chicken: You can use leftover roasted chicken, from home, or cook chicken breasts. The rotisserie chicken is just as easy, and is cost effective.
In a large bowl, combine all of the salad ingredients, tossing until well mixed.
In a small bowl (I use a small Mason jar with a lid), whisk together the dressing ingredients and then pour over the salad, tossing to coat.
You'll also love
- Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake 4.3/5 (44 Votes)
- Loaded Chicken and Potato Casserole 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Chewy Coconut-Pecan Cookies 4.8/5 (17 Votes)
- Perfect Fried Eggs 4.6/5 (22 Votes)
- Olive Bread Stuffing with Fennel 4.6/5 (22 Votes)
- Easy Crock Pot Chicken Stew 4.5/5 (22 Votes)
- Vanilla Cupcakes with Whipped... 4.5/5 (37 Votes)
- Mediterranean Vegetable Salad 4.6/5 (30 Votes)