PASTA ALLA VODKA W/ROASTED WINTER SQUASH
- 3-4 lbs winter squash - butternut
- 4 tblsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 3 tsp kosher or sea salt, divided plus 1 tblsp for pasta water
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4-3/4 tsp crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped, juices reserved
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 lb finely grated parmigiano Reggiano cheese plus extra for garnish
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
1. Heat over to 450 degrees.
2. Toss squash with 2 tblsp olive oil, sugar 2tsp salt, and a generous
grind of pepper.
3. Roast until tender & browned on the edges, 25-30 mihnutes, stirring
once partway through cooking.
4. Bring a large pot of watyer to boil over high heat.
5. Add 1 tblsp salt to the water for cooking
6. While squash is roasting, heat the remaining 2 tblsp olive oil in a
large saute pan or skillet over medium heat
7. Add onion & cook, stirring occasionally, until softened & starting to
brown, appx 6 minutes
8. Add garlic & red pepper, stirrin gto combine, & cook until garlic is
fragrant, about 1 minute
9. Stir in tomatoes (with juices), vodka, & 1 tsp salt
10. Cook an additional 10 minutes, stirring occassionaly, lowering heat
if sauce starts bubbling too vigorously (you want a gentle simmer)
11. Stir in cream & cook an additionalminute, & set aside
12. While sauce is simmering, turn water to high heat & cook pasta
13. Reserve 1/4 cup cooking water & set aside
14. Drain pasta, return to pot over medium high heat
15. Toss with squash & reserved pasta water
16. Stir in tomato--vodka sauce & cheese until thoroughly combined.
17. Cook until sauce is thickened & pasta is nicely coated..3 minutes
18. remove from heat, toss with basil, sprinkle w/extra cheese, & serve