Flavorful herbs and spices, sherry, shallots, and mushrooms give these plain chicken breasts rich flavor. Refrigerated mashed potatoes and broccoli complete the meal.
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves $
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 3 large shallots, peeled (about 1 cup)
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
Cooking time 30mins
1. Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to 1/3-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet. Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; coat with cooking spray. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan; cook 5 to 6 minutes on each side or until browned.
2. While chicken cooks, cut shallots vertically into thin slices. Remove chicken from pan. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add mushrooms and shallots to pan; coat vegetables with cooking spray. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in sherry and marjoram. Return chicken to pan; cover and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and chicken is done. Transfer chicken to a platter. Pour mushroom mixture over chicken; sprinkle with freshly ground pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.
Marjoram is oregano's mild cousin. Crush the dried leaves to release their delicate flavor. For this recipe, use the largest shallots you can find; three large shallots should yield 1 cup of slices.