This recipe coats tender chicken breasts with a buttery pecans flavored with spicy chipotle and zesty orange. Serve with a spinach salad.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast, about 1-1 1/4 pounds, trimmed
- 1/2 cup pecan halves, or pieces
- 1/4 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest, freshly grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from webmd.com
1. Working with one piece of chicken at a time, place between sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even 1/4-inch thickness.
2. Place pecans, breadcrumbs, orange zest, salt and ground chipotle in a food processor and pulse until the pecans are finely ground. Transfer the mixture to a shallow dish. Whisk egg white and water in a shallow dish until combined. Dip each chicken breast in the egg-white mixture, then dredge both sides in the pecan mixture.
3. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add half the chicken and cook until browned on the outside and no longer pink in the middle, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm. Carefully wipe out the pan with a paper towel and add the remaining oil. Cook the remaining chicken, adjusting the heat as needed to prevent scorching. Serve immediately.