Seared Balsamic Mushroom Pizza
- 1 pound pizza dough thawed if frozen
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound fresh white mushrooms sliced (5 cups)
- 1/4 cup thinly-sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons thinly-sliced garlic
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves (or 1 tspn dried thyme, crushed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked blacked pepper
- 1/3 cup prepared pesto - (from 8-oz container)
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese - (4 oz) divided
- 1/3 cup roasted red peppers - (from 7-oz can)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a 12-inch pizza pan with vegetable cooking spray. Roll or stretch dough into pan forming a 1/4-inch rim around edge. Using a fork, pierce surface of dough. Bake until crust is golden, 10 to 12 minutes; set aside.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil until it just begins to smoke. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are golden, about 5 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar, thyme, salt and black pepper; cook and stir until liquid has nearly evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes; set aside.
Spread pesto over reserved pizza crust; sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the cheese. Top with reserved mushrooms mixture and roasted peppers; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake until hot and cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Cut in wedges; serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.