Provencal Mushroom And White Bean Stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound fresh white mushrooms sliced (5 cups)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme crushed
- 2 cans ready-to-serve chicken broth - (13 3/4 oz ea)
- 1 can stewed tomatoes - (14 1/2 oz) cut bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cans white cannellini beans - (15 oz ea) drained
In a Dutch oven or large saucepot, heat oil until hot. Add mushrooms, onion, garlic and thyme; cook and stir until onion is very tender and mushrooms are slightly golden, about 7 minutes. Add chicken broth, tomatoes with their liquid and wine; bring to a boil; cover and simmer to blend flavors, about 15 minutes.
In a small bowl, mash 1 cup of the beans until smooth; add to stew. Stir in remaining beans, heat until hot. Serve immediately with a mound of steamed rice, if desired.
This recipe yields 4 servings.