Moo Goo Gai Pan
- 1 1/2 lbs. skinned boneless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 Tbsp. peanut oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced thick
- 1 can bean sprouts, well drained
- 1 can water chestnuts, drained and sliced
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger or 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 3 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 can (133/4 0z) chicken broth
- hot fluffy rice
Cut chicken into 1" cubes and place in bowl. sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, then sherry and toss to coat. let stand at room temperature 1 hour. In lg. heavy saucepan, heat oil over moderately high heat. Turn contents of bowl into oil and stir over high heat until chicken becomes white and opaque, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, scallions, mushrooms, bean sprouts and water chestnuts. Stir over high heat 2-3 minutes.
Meantime, in a small bowl, mix ginger and cornstarch, then gradually stir in chick broth. stir into chicken mixture. cook and stir over high heat until sauce bubbles and thickens. Taste, and add more salt and pepper if needed. serve with rice.