Mushroom Seafood Cakes
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms
- 12 tablespoons butter or margarine divided
- 3/4 cup finely-chopped celery
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- Water as needed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice divided.
- 1/2 pound flounder fillets
- 1/2 pound cooked fresh crabmeat (or 7 1/2 oz canned crabmeat)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 eggs divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- Dry bread crumbs as needed
Rinse, pat dry and chop mushrooms into rice-size bits. In a large skillet heat 6 tablespoons of the butter. Add mushrooms along with celery, onion and parsley flakes. Saute until liquid evaporates and mushrooms are golden, set aside.
In a medium saucepan bring 1 inch water to the boiling point. Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and flounder. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Cool and flake fish. Add fish and crabmeat, which has been flaked, to mushroom mixture in skillet. Heat slightly. Remove from heat.
Combine mayonnaise, 1 egg lightly beaten, salt, black pepper and remaining 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Stir into seafood and mushroom mixture. Shape into 14 cakes. Lightly coat cakes on all sides with dry bread crumbs. Dip into remaining eggs that have been well beaten, and coat again with bread crumbs.
In a large skillet heat remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add some of the cakes and fry until crisp and brown on both sides, adding additional butter as needed. Serve with tartar sauce or lemon wedges, if desired.
This recipe yields 14 cakes.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (810 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (486 Votes)
- Famous Red Lobster Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (466 Votes)
- Easy & Healthy Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (194 Votes)
- Garlic Shrimp 4.5/5 (182 Votes)