Enchiladas in a Slow Cooker
A Taste of Home recipe. Particularly good for busy moms. Or those of us who like meals ready when we get home. I actually reduce the salt and add more pepper and cumin for a stronger flavor.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) pinto or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Read more: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/slow-cooker-enchiladas#ixzz3AhwaPlve
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 300mins
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the next eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Combine cheeses.
In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer about 3/4 cup beef mixture, one tortilla and about 1/3 cup cheese. Repeat layers. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.