Corn & Saffron Risotto
- 4 medium ears sweet corn
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads or 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 10 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
Cut corn from cobs. In a large skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat; add corn, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup broth. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until corn is tender. Remove from skillet and set aside; keep warm.
In a large saucepan, heat saffron and remaining broth; keep warm.
In the same skillet, saute onion in oil and 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add rice; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in wine. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
Add warm broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and allowing liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender (cooking time is about 20 minutes).
Stir in the cream, reserved corn mixture and remaining butter; cook and stir until heated through. Sprinkle with basil. Serve immediately.