Mushroom 'Hodge Podge'
- 2 pounds fresh white mushrooms
- 8 medium plum tomatoes cut in eighths
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 can tomato sauce - (abt 15 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rotelli or other short pasta
Trim mushroom stems, cut large mushrooms in halves. In a large saucepan, combine mushrooms, tomatoes, onion, garlic, red pepper flakes (if using), wine, and tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to high, remove lid and cook until thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, in a medium-size saucepan, bring 6 cups salted water to a boil. Add rotelli; cook until tender, yet still slightly firm, about 8 minutes. Drain and add to the mushroom mixture; toss gently. Spoon into shallow soup bows, dividing evenly. Serve with crostini made with thick slices of toasted Italian or other peasant bread spread with pesto.
This recipe yields 4 servings.