Winter Fruit Salad with Lemon Poppyseed Dressing
"Wonderful salad for the holiday seasons. Great to serve for dinner at home or to take to a family gathering during the holidays."
- 1/2 cup white sugar--2T lass
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons diced onion--sweet or red
- 1 teaspoon Dijon - 1T-style prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 ounces shredded Swiss cheese/Bleu/Feta/Jack
- 1 cup cashews/pecans/almonds--always toast & increase amount
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries--increase amount
- 1 apple - peeled, cored and diced
- 1 pear - peeled, cored and sliced
In a blender or food processor, combine sugar, lemon juice, onion, mustard, and salt. Process until well blended. With machine still running, add oil in a slow, steady stream until mixture is thick and smooth. Add poppy seeds, and process just a few seconds more to mix.
In a large serving bowl, toss together the romaine lettuce, shredded Swiss cheese, cashews, dried cranberries, apple, and pear.
Pour dressing over salad just before serving, and toss to coat.
Can soak the sliced pears & apples before assembly