Martin Yan's Triple Mushroom Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 cups julienned fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh white mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh oyster mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oyster-flavored sauce
- 1 tablespoon coarsely-chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon coarsely-chopped green onion
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- 2 sprigs enoki mushrooms for garnish
Melt butter in a 3-quart pan over medium heat. Add onion and cool for 2 minutes or until soft. Add fresh shiitake, white, oyster mushrooms and ginger. Cook for 3 minutes or until mushrooms are soft and pan juices have evaporated.
Stir in cornstarch and cook for 1 minute. Stir in vegetable broth and half-and-half; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add vegetable oyster-flavored sauce, and stir to mix well.
Place soup and cilantro sprigs in a blender or food processor until smooth. Add sesame oil and pepper. Return soup to pot and reheat without boiling.
Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish each serving with enoki mushrooms, green onion slivers and cilantro leaves.
This recipe yields 4 servings.