Lemony Mushroom Beef Stew
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons salad oil
- 2 pounds boneless beef shoulder or chuck cut 2" cubes
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 1/3 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 4 cups seasoned mashed potatoes
- 2 egg yolks
Rinse, pat dry and trim mushrooms. Cut stems of mushrooms flush with cap, chop stems to make 1 cup. Cut caps in quarters. Set caps and stems aside separately.
Heat a 2 1/2-quart casserole in a preheated very hot oven (450 degrees) until hot, about 3 minutes. Add beef, brown in hot oven, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove casserole from oven. Reduce oven heat to slow (325 degrees). Into casserole stir reserved chopped mushroom stems along with the carrots, onions, green pepper, lemon peel and juice.
Dissolve bouillon cubes in boiling water. Combine flour with cold water, gradually stir into bouillon. Add salt, black pepper and thyme to bouillon mixture. Pour over meat, stir well. Cover casserole tightly. Bake in slow oven until beef is fork tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove casserole from oven. Increase oven heat to extremely hot (500 degrees).
Stir in reserved mushrooms. Combine potatoes and egg yolks. Spoon or pipe through a large tube around edge of casserole. Return casserole to oven, bake until potatoes are golden, about 5 minutes.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Deviled Crab Stuffed Mushrooms 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chicken Mushroom Marsala Calzone 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Three Mushroom-Watercress Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Straw Mushrooms With Beef 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Scrambled Eggs With Avocado And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Quail With Plum Sauce 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cream Of Goose Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Poached Salmon Salad With... 0/5 (0 Votes)