Hearty Mushroom Chef Salad
- 1/2 pound fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup salad oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 head loose-leaf or iceberg lettuce
- 8 ounces sliced Swiss cheese
- 8 ounces sliced cooked ham
- 8 ounces sliced cooked turkey
Rinse, pat dry and slice fresh mushrooms (makes about 2 1/2 cups), set aside.
In a medium bowl combine oil, vinegar, garlic, sugar, salt and black pepper, mix well. Let stand for 10 minutes for flavors to develop.
Tear lettuce into bite size pieces, place in a serving bowl. Cut cheese, ham and turkey into julienne strips. Arrange on top of lettuce.
Add reserved mushrooms to dressing, toss gently until all of the mushrooms are well coated. Arrange mushrooms in center of the salad. Pour any remaining dressing over salad. Toss just before serving.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.