#KIphotocontest - Gorgonzola Fettuccini
From COOKING LIGHT magazine - May-2000
- 8 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- 3 cups (1-inch) diagonally sliced asparagus (about 10 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons butter or stick margarine
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) Gorgonzola or other blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
Cook pasta in boiling water 6 minutes, omitting salt and fat. Add asparagus, and cook 2 minutes or until tender.
While pasta is cooking, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, and cook for 3 minutes. Add flour; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, stirring well with a whisk. Stir in cream cheese and salt; cook 3 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly.
Drain pasta and asparagus; place in a large bowl. Add sauce; tossing to coat. Serve with Gorgonzola and walnuts, and sprinkle with pepper, if desired