Enchiladas in a Slow Cooker
A Taste of Home recipe. Particularly good for busy moms. Or those of us who like meals ready when we get home. I actually reduce the salt and add more pepper and cumin for a stronger flavor.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup/can chopped green chilies (I use Hatch green chilies)1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) pinto or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 flour Or Corn tortillas (6 inches)
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 300mins
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper and seasonings until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the next 4 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Combine cheeses.
Crisp up the tortilla in in skillet just till they hold their shape.
In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer about 3/4 cup beef mixture, one tortilla and about 1/3 cup cheese. Repeat layers. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
You can line your crockpot with tin foil so you can lift out the whole thing.
1 serving (1 each) equals 734 calories, 32 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 111 mg cholesterol, 1,672 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 49 g protein
Read more: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/slow-cooker-enchiladas#ixzz3Al9NmgbS