Cream Of Mushroom Soup Without The Cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup thinly-sliced green onions (scallions)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds white mushrooms sliced (9 cups)
- 1 can ready-to-serve chicken or vegetable broth - (14 1/2 oz)
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups lowfat milk
In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add carrots, onions, garlic, salt, thyme and pepper; cook, stirring often, until onions just begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, broth, and wine; bring to a boil; cook for 1 minute.
Using a slotted spoon, remove 1 cup of the vegetables; set aside. In a blender or food processor place half of remaining soup from the saucepan; puree until smooth. Remove to a bowl; repeat with remaining mixture.
Return entire pureed mixture to saucepan; stir in milk and reserved vegetables. Simmer just until heated through, about 5 minutes. If desired, garnish with thinly sliced green onion.
This recipe yields 4 servings.